Fill out the form to access the infographic
You can access the PDF in the button below.
If you ask people - what does a product manager do? What does a sales rep do? Most will provide relatively uniform answers. In that regard, what does someone in the role of BizOps do?
We looked at over 50 job descriptions for open positions with BizOps in the job title across startups and tech giants. The open roles ranged from “Head of BizOps,” “Senior Analyst, Product & Engineering BizOps” to “Senior Finance & BizOps Analyst.” While the job titles did not make it easier to understand, there were some common threads to be found.
84% of the roles were a mix of strategy, operations, and finance. As a strong generalist, the BizOps professional acts as a business partner with the different departments to ask and answer the tough questions. Which country to enter next and how? Which segment to target next? Which product feature do we prioritize?
Most job descriptions sounded very similar to internal strategy functions. In fact, looking at the first few lines of these two job descriptions - one for Head of Strategy, and another for Head of BizOps - they were more alike than imagined.
- Head of Strategy - Drive strategic thinking across the operations and finance teams and connect group-level goals to company-wide KPIs. Leverage a wealth of disparate data sources to drive strategic decision making.
- Head of BizOps - Leverage data and insight to drive decision making and acceleration of growth reporting, metrics and KPI. Cross-functional project management - from concept to execution, our ideal candidate is able to manage cross-functional projects, ensuring deadlines are met, and outcomes are maximized/in-line with strategic objectives
Data and metrics driven
- 100% of the job descriptions mentioned setting and measuring metrics (OKRs & KPIs).
- 58% of senior roles included initiatives to “centralize data” or “standardize and distribute metrics.”
- 92% of junior roles specifically stated SQL or data querying. They also prefered experiences in advanced modeling, data analytics and visualization tools.
Banking, consulting, or operations experience
98% (all but one) of roles required work experience in banking or consulting. The requirements section included phrases like, “minimum of X years of relevant experience in the field of finance or consulting” or “great opportunity for those with experience in consulting, banking, private equity, corporate strategy, or similar roles”
So... what do you think? Is BizOps just another name for internal strategy?
Whether you’re in BizOps or the internal strategic unit, you need financial and operational metrics to take strategic decisions. Modern xP&A (collaborative planning & analysis) platforms drive this agility and give you more time to find strategic insights.
With Abacum, we empower finance teams of high-growth tech companies to become true strategic partners in the organization by driving time-to-insight with powerful automation and seamless collaboration. Request a demo now to see the product live and start your own transformational journey.